The ICSI is a research organization founded in 1963.
It was created and developed by the joint effort of the Israeli government, the US government (through USOM), the UN and the ceramics and glass industry.This new Institute incorporated into it the “Ceramic Research Association”, which operated between 1948 and 1963.
Currently the ICSI is an independent, non-profit, organization.
ICSI is housed in a three-story building (erected in 1956) situated inside the campus of the Technion [Israel Institute of Technology], in the city of Haifa, Israel.
The main business of ICSI is technological research on topics in the domains of ceramics and glass engineering, focusing on advanced technical ceramics. The research is funded by industrial companies and government organizations (like the Ministry of Economy, the Ministry of Defense and the Ministry of Science and Technology).
ICSI also offers toll services regarding materials and products characterization, powder synthesis, fabrication of custom made ceramic parts (short series), consulting and literature reviews.
ICSI maintains a fruitful relationship with other major Israeli and foreign academic and research institutes.